ES Petition for Degree Requirements

A student majoring in Environmental Studies or Hydrologic Sciences and Policy may apply a course(s) taken either at UCSB or from another institution towards specific requirements within their major as long as the course(s) being substituted are UC transferable, classified at the appropriate class level (i.e. must be upper-division to satisfy an upper-division requirement), and the course content satisfactorily meets the requirement for which it is being applied.

If a student wishes to request a substitution or apply courses towards requirements within the Environmental Studies or Hydrologic Science majors they should download, review, and complete the Request to Petition Degree Requirements form here:  .pdf version  

Instructions:  Complete the information requested and return to an ES Advisor in 4312 or 4313 Bren Hall or as an attachement via email to  Note:  To be considered courses must be posted to one’s UCSB Course History as completed, transferred, or currently enrolled units.  Approval time averages three weeks and notification will be sent via your UCSB U-Mail address as well as posted to your GOLD account under Academic History - Degree Audit page.  If necessary, expand your justification on the back or attach a copy of the catalog course description(s) or syllabi.

Use the Environmental Studies Request to Petition Degree Requirements form for any of the following:

  • Substitute a UCSB course(s) for a requirement in your major
  • Request a course taken Pass/No Pass be applied towards a lower-division requirement
  • Substitute transfer work from a community college or another institution not already articulated by
  • Applying education abroad (EAP) or environmental field studies units towards the major
  • Petition a group of interdisciplinary upper-division courses to satisfy the Outside Concentration (Area C)

NOTE: Petitions for General Education (GE), University, or other requirements outside your major must be submitted separately to the College of Letters and Science using their petitions at:

Questions about petitioning courses towards major requirements can be directed to the ES Academic Advisors or by emailing

» Download the Request to Petition for Degree Requirements form here:  .pdf version