Prior to Travel 


Connexxus is a secure online booking tool that offers discounts and benefits that other popular travel web sites simply can't match. Used by the University of California, travelers take advantage of university-negotiated rates to save money on airfare, hotels and car rentals. So how can the travel program offer a better value than other travel sites? The answer is leverage. Since Connexxus handles the travel needs for the entire UC system, the program has tremendous buying power.

Airfare can be booked and paid for directly using Connexxus. Booking travel through Connexxus means that the traveler will not be out-of-pocket for airline expenses, as well as being directly enrolled in UC Travel Insurance which is required for any travel outside of the state of California. 

Business Travel Accident Insurance

Business Travel Accident Insurance is required for out of state and overseas travel. If your travel is not booked through Connexxus, you MUST fill out the UC Away Business Travel form to receive full benefits of the University Business Travel Accident Insurance. 


Completed Travel 

A Domestic or Foreign Reimbursement form must be completed and submitted with Original receipts for airfare, rental car, lodging, meals, incidentals and any other travel related expenses. 

It is the traveler’s responsibility to submit complete information and receipts to the Financial Unit in a timely manner, and to respond quickly to all requests.


  • Dated
  • In good condition. If it’s difficult to read a receipt, please initial somewhere on the receipt
  • Hand-written receipts must be signed by the recipient - If no signature, traveler must initial somewhere on receipt
  • If you don't have the original receipt, please print and complete the Declaration of Missing Evidence form and turn it in with your Travel Voucher Worksheet
  • Accompanied by a spreadsheet*
  • Numbered*

*When travel is longer than two weeks and/or includes multiple locations reconciling receipts becomes complex and can be very time consuming. To assist us in expediting your reimbursement please create a spreadsheet of your receipts and submit it both in hard copy and electronic form.

Spreadsheet needs to contain at least these 5 columns:

  1. Receipt number (Numbering should be sequential for all receipts – do not re-start numbering for each location)
  2. Type of expense (preferably tied back to budget categories: lodging, food, airfare, etc.)
  3. Date of receipt
  4. Brief description
  5. Amount in USD

Depending on the complexity of travel, other columns to consider may include:

  1. Funding source to charge (if multiple grants will be used for a single trip, each expense must indicate to which grant it should be charged.)
  2. Type of Currency and currency conversion rate


The University's use of funds for entertainment must be compatible with our stewardship responsibility and must have a strong ethical component. We should be able to show that our entertainment expenses are necessary and in the best interest of the public.

Things to consider before claiming an entertainment expense:

  • Avoid situations that would require exceptions to policy (e.g. exceeding the maximum limits)
  • Be sensitive to the current budget situation and public perceptions
  • When two or more employees choose to dine together in order to continue business, or when a meeting can be scheduled during regular working hours, reimbursement for the meal is not allowed.

University policy requires approval in advance for all official entertainment payments and reimbursements. If you are planning an event where food or beverages will be served, please contact us to confirm that these expenses are allowable with your funds, and then send the following information to the Financial Unit:

  • Date, time, and location of event
  • Guest list (showing names, titles, affiliations)
  • Business related nature/purpose of the event
  • Justification
  • Funds to be used
  • Event flier (if available)

Only certain companies/restaurants have been approved to provide catering to UCSB, so please contact us if you are planning on using a catering service of any kind. You can also request a copy of the list of currently approved caterers, though even using these require prior approval by the UCEN. 

After the event has taken place, send all ORIGINAL receipts and invoices to the Financial team

The Financial Team 

Vivian Stopple & Yvette Howze